Friday, June 18, 2010

Anzac Biscuits

We love these Anzac Biscuits.  This recipe is a little different to the usual recipe, using honey instead of golden syrup as we don’t usually have any golden syrup and some added ginger which gives them a really nice flavour.  This batch I made with cashew nuts, but you can use any type of nut really.  They are especially tasty with Macadamia nuts.

Ingredients
  • 75g cashew nuts
  • 3/4 cup plain flour
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
  • 2 tbspn boiling water
  • 1 tbspn honey
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 125g butter
Preheat oven to 160°C.  Line two baking trays with baking paper.  You can roast the nuts for about 5 minutes if you want, I didn’t bother with this batch though.  Chop the nuts roughly into smaller pieces.
Combine flour, ginger, oats, sugar, coconut and nuts in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix the boiling water, honey and bicarb.  The mixture should froth a little, then add the melted butter.  Pour into the flour mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon.

Anzac Cookies 2

Place a small handful of the mixture onto the prepared trays and flatten them slightly with a fork.  They will flatten more during cooking and spread out a little, so give them plenty of room.
Bake in oven for about 15 minutes.  If you take them out a little bit earlier they will be chewier and if you leave them in for a bit longer they will be crunchier.

Anzac Cookies

Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.  There’s usually a few missing by the time they have cooled in our house though!  Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I have heard of these but never made them. I think I've found a use for the coconut that's sitting in my pantry. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had these before but after looking at the ingredients, I know I would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were so good, so I was proud to take a handful along to share for morning tea at craft group recently! yummmmmzzz <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...