Friday, June 18, 2010

Chicken with Peas and Pasta

I wanted to make something like a chicken pot pie with the chicken fillets we had, but I didn't have enough time to make the pastry.  So I figured I would just make the base and see how it turned out.  I was looking at some chicken recipes in my Kylie Kwong cookbook, but most of them were just chicken with a sauce.  We like our vegies though so this is what I came up with.

Ingredients
500g Chicken Fillet
2 tbspn Olive Oil
2 Onions
1 Capsicum
1 tbspn crushed garlic
5 button mushrooms
2 carrots
2 potatoes
1 cup frozen peas
1 tin cream of mushroom soup
100ml vegetable stock
Dried pasta


Heat oil in a large fry pan.  Chop all vegies into bite sized chunks.  Cook onion and capsicum until soft.  Add mushrooms and garlic, stir for another minute.  Add carrot, potato and peas.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Cut chicken into bite sized chunks, add to pan and cook for another 5 minutes.


Add soup and stock to pan, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.  In a large pot of boiling water, cook enough pasta to serve with the meal.  I used 250g for the two of us. 


I started cooking a bite late, so Teena was very hungry by the time I'd finished cooking.  This is her sampling the meal while I was taking pictures.  It turned out pretty good, the sauce could have been a bit thicker, but I think it would have made a nice pie.  Maybe next time when I have some chicken and some more time...

3 comments:

  1. Dave, this looks wonderful. I was so pleased to see your name among the comments on my blog. I hope we'll see you often. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was yummy, as usual!!! The chicken was especially .... /gulp!
    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course, you should try the chicken pie sometime soon! I'll make sure there is more chicken in the freezer for you! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...