Friday, June 25, 2010

Pumpkin, Spinach and Eggplant Lasagna

I had planned to make some Moussaka, but I'd used some of the ingredients the night before, so I looked around for a lasagna recipe with pumpkin and spinach in it.  I didn't really find one that I liked, but I had a good idea of how I wanted to do it and I've made traditional lasagna heaps of times.  So I just made a lasagna with layers of all the ingredients I wanted to use, pumpkin, spinach and eggplant.

I was also trying some dried wholemeal lasagna sheets which I soaked briefly in some boiling water before using, but you can use any type.  I like using fresh lasagna sheets as you don't get any uncooked bits in your lasagna.



Ingredients
  • Lasagna Sheets
  • 400g Pumpkin
  • 1 bunch Spinach
  • 2 Eggplant
  • Salt
  • Olive Oil
  • 2 Brown Onions
  • 400g Tin Diced Tomatoes
  • 2 tbspn Tomato Paste
  • 100g Button Mushrooms
  • 1 tbpsn fresh Oregano
  • 1 qty of Bechamel Sauce


Heat some Olive Oil in a frypan and cook onion and garlic until soft.  Add mushrooms and oregano, cook for another minute.  Add tomato paste and tomatoes, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.

Slice eggplant in thin slices and sprinkle with salt.  Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and fry eggplant in batches until brown on both sides.  Transfer to some paper towel.  Peel and slice pumpkin thickly.  Steam or boil pumpkin for about 5 minutes to soften slightly.  Chop Spinach roughly and toss it in some boiling water for a few minutes.  Transfer to some paper towel to drain.  Squeeze out extra moisture before using.

In a large dish, spoon a thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom.  Add a layer of lasagna sheets then top with a layer of eggplant, a layer of spinach, followed by a layer of pumpkin.  You don't have to fill each layer, just scatter evenly.  Add another layer of lasagna sheets, followed by the tomato sauce and then eggplant, spinach and pumpkin.  Repeat like this until you have used up all your ingredients.  I managed to build three layers with mine.

Top with a layer of lasagna sheets and finish by pouring the bechamel sauce over the whole lasagna.  Cook in oven at 180°C for 30-40 minutes, or until the lasagna sheets are soft when tested with a skewer.  I forgot to put any cheese into my bechamel sauce... and if I had remembered I probably would have scattered some on top as well.  It was still very tasty though!

3 comments:

  1. This was a great vegetarian lasagne, the eggplant, pumpkin and spinach all got along famously! It would be wonderful to have this again, I think the fresh pasta is a good idea. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful! I made a vegetable lasagna a while back (which I loved) but my kids were not fond of the zucchini, so I have been looking for a new veggie lasagna to try with them. This si going on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how delicious! I like the flavour combination.
    Thanks for the comments on my blog. Much appreciated.
    Have a great weekend. Michael

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...