Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Meatballs in Rich Tomato Sauce with Spaghetti

This is our favourite Meatballs and Spaghetti recipe.  The meatballs are just so tasty and it's very easy to make.  The recipe is adapted from one I found at Taste.


Ingredients
  • 500g beef mince
  • 1 onion, finely chopped 
  • 1-2 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
  • 1 tbspn lemon juice
  • 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
  • 2 x 400g cans diced Italian tomatoes
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1 tbspn sweet chilli sauce
  • cooked pasta and extra basil, to serve

Combine beef mince, onion, chilli sauce, lemon juice, breadcrumbs, basil and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Roll small handfuls of mince mixture into balls. Place meatballs on a tray lined with baking paper. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.


Combine tomatoes, sweet chilli sauce and stock in a deep frying pan. Try to use something that will fit all meatballs in a single layer and allow the sauce to cover them easily.  Bring slowly to the boil over medium heat. Drop meatballs into tomato mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.

Serve meatballs on top of freshly cooked spaghetti.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. These are the BEST meatballs I've ever had in my life! I get really excited when David says he wants to make them again. I'm really happy it takes more than one night to eat them all up and we have meatballs for two nights in a row. I hope we get meatballs again one day soon! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chilli in Spaghetti and Meatballs, what an interesting concept. I'm intrigued, it sounds like it would be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This to this day remains one of my favorite meals. I helped shape meatballs when I was quite young and the dish always brings back pleasant memories. I hope you are having a great day, Dave. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know nothing beats a good plateful of spaghetti and meatballs.....I could use one now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...