Saturday, June 5, 2010

Herb Damper

My Sister used to make this damper all the time.  It's so tasty and easy to make that I often make one to go with some soup, risotto or Spaghetti Bolognaise.  You can use any herbs you have available.  I've made different ones with Sage, Basil, Garlic, Chilli.  I don't usually have lemon pepper seasoning either, so you can skip that or just add some black pepper.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1 tbspn butter 
  • 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 cap-full of white vinegar
1.  Preheat oven to 200°C.  Sift flour into a bowl.  Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Stir in chives, lemon pepper and Parmesan.

2.  Combine milk and vinegar, add to flour.  Mix lightly until mixture starts to come together (add a little extra milk if necessary). Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly. Shape into a 3cm-thick round and place on an oven tray.

3.  Score top of damper with a knife into wedges. Dust lightly with a little flour. Bake for about 20 minutes or until damper is light golden.

3 comments:

  1. Dave, this looks really interesting. I had never heard the term damper before. I had to look it it but am cool now. I really love your blog and will be back soon to see what else you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, thanks for the comment. It didn't occur to me that people wouldn't know what Damper is. I'd forgotten that it was an Australian term. I've added a link now to the wiki entry for Damper.

    Thanks for dropping by
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave's Damper is always yummy with soup or curries and he whips it up whenever he feels like some more! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...